Friday, November 21, 2014

Pat-A-Pan (Nov 14)

Unfortunately, my camera has gone missing, so the pictures the children took during this visit won't be in this post :(

After my last visit I was excited to teach Mrs. Larson's class a song. We decided it would be fun for the children to start learning a Christmas song. I wanted to pick a carol that was less well known and would be simple to teach, so I chose the old French carol "Pat-a-Pan".

I gave brief historical background of the piece, then we began by reading the words together and identifying various parts of speech: nouns, verbs, and adjectives. Next, we practiced the rhythms in the song. Then, since one of the instruments we sing about is a flute (and I happen to be a flutist), I played my flute to show the melody to the class. Once the melody was established, we sang, created a drum part (which the children played on their desks) and I accompanied them on my flute. I was so impressed with the class. They sang so well! Then, for fun and application of grammar principles, we substituted nouns with children's names or Christmas objects, as well as some verbs and adjectives. The students really seemed to enjoy creating new words for this simple carol, especially when they got to put their own names in the song. This was so much fun! I loved every minute!

Here are some pictures!






No comments:

Post a Comment